5 Tips to Keep Those Carpets Clean
By onthehouse on October 22, 2014
Here are the basics for clean carpet care:
- Every good housekeeper knows carpets need to be vacuumed once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic. Clean carpets will last longer. Don’t forget the edges and under furniture.
- One quick swipe with the vacuum is not enough. Go over each section of carpeting several times and slowly to allow the vacuum to remove all the ground-in dust and dirt.
- Vacuum walk areas with a crisscross pattern of overlapping strokes.
- Change vacuum bags before they are full and add some baking soda to the bag to fight odors.
- Always clean up drips and spills immediately. For spot-cleaning, mix 1 tablespoon each, of ammonia, white vinegar and liquid dish detergent with 1 cup of cold water in a plastic quart container. Close the container and shake it until it foams. Put some on the spot, dab or brush, and blot dry.