Show Notes: This week it’s pay now or pay more later if you put off home maintenance (2/15/14)
These maintenance tasks will save you big money down the road if you do them regularly:
- Caulk windows, doors and siding regularly.
- Paint the exterior every few years.
- Redirect water away from the house.
- Take care of little roof leaks before they become bigger ones.
- Take care of sink and toilet leaks before they damage cabinets and floors
- Maintain the caulking and waterproofing
- Maintain pest and termite inspections and control
WHAT DOES IT COST TO MAINTAIN THAT HOME?
There’s no way to forecast these costs for sure. But mortgage-data firm HSH Associates suggests that homeowners assume they will come to about 1% of the property’s value — every year.
That’s $3,000 on a $300,000 home. To be on the safe side, you should probably use that as a minimum. So let’s say $4,000, and assume you’d also need a healthy cash reserve for any big expense that homeowners insurance doesn’t cover, such as a new furnace or roof.
Websites mentioned today:
Marble & Granite Care: http://www.granitegold.com
Shower Cleaner: http://wetandforget.com
Next week| Is your garage a dump? It’s time to get organized