Clutter Affects Our Brains but Sheds Improve Home Organization
Shed Sales Could Reach $800 Million Annually by 2018
Clutter negatively affects our brains, ability to focus and process information. LP Building Products’ proprietary research shows that U.S. consumers strive to make their homes a sanctuary from outside stress and stimulation caused by the onslaught of “stuff,” hence consumers are increasingly building and purchasing sheds.
“The biggest storage challenge to improving home organization is a lack of space in the home,” said Leigh Smith, associate segment marketing manager, LP Building Products.
Based on shed sales growth from 2008 to 2013, shed sales at the same rate of growth through 2018 could reach $800 million annually.
Research background and methodology
LP commissioned the strategy and insights experts at hfa to conduct this first-of-its-kind research about the U.S. outdoor storage shed market. The study consisted of shed industry secondary research and primary research conducted with U.S. consumers in 2014. LP manufactures technologically advanced products made specifically for sheds and LP is one of the nation’s leading producers of shed products.
Storage trends and insights – U.S. consumers
- An increasing number of baby boomers are looking to downsize their homes, so they’ll have less space to store accumulated possessions.
- The propensity of U.S. households to “clean up and organize” is evident by the proliferation of organization-oriented businesses and the emergence of reality TV shows that feed a national obsession to declutter.
- Owning a home generally results in more possessions, which necessitate storage products.
- Finishing attics or basements into living space creates the need for storage space outside the home.
- Outdoor buildings reflect the changing tastes and styles of their owners, and homeowners are increasingly showing off the things that set them apart from the rest, either aesthetically or functionally.
- A backyard shed can be an escape – a place to keep “stuff” but also a spot physically and emotionally separated from daily living.
- Shed owners tend to be accumulators and social connectors, have traditional values (e.g., home is sacred), are creative, enjoy shopping and plan to ensure they are getting the best deal.
- Men tend to gravitate toward shed toughness and durability while women tend to be drawn to design and style.
- More homeowners assemble their own sheds rather than have an outside service perform this function. You may opt for Metal Building Packages to build your shed more easily and quickly.
New website – helping consumers make smart shed product decisions
LP’s research findings played a role in the 2014 launch of the LP Outdoor Building Solutions® website, www.LPShed.com. “This site is a pathway for obtaining premium shed products, serving homeowners with inspiration and connecting them to helpful, relevant information. The site benefits a homeowner in the category of do-it-yourself or do-it-for-me when building or buying a shed,” Smith said.
Shed products – walls, flooring, roofing
LP products include LP SmartSide® Panel with SilverTech®, LP SmartSide Panel with SmartFinish®, LP ProStruct® Floor with SmartFinish and LP ProStruct Roof with SilverTech.
LP SmartSide panels with SilverTech and SmartFinish feature innovative and unique options that provide a premium, finished look. LP ProStruct Roof Sheathing with SilverTech features a radiant barrier for a cooler structure and brighter interior. LP ProStruct Floor with SmartFinish elevates the overall quality of outdoor structures featuring a tough overlay for a beautiful, professional-grade finish. It’s an appealing alternative to plywood floors.
Beautiful shed structures built with LP products are small enough to fit in the backyard and versatile for a variety of uses such as gardening centers, storage, outdoor workshops, offices or man-caves.
LP Outdoor Building Solutions products are available at retailers and shed dealers nationwide.