Closet Auger Marks (A Response)
I had a blockage in my toilet. I purchased, and properly used a closet auger, to unclog the toilet. The auger left marks on my water closet. Can you suggest any remedies? I tried household cleanser and it didn’t work.
- Turn off the toilet water supply valve
- Flush the toilet (it won’t refill)
- Pour two quarts of water into the bowl (this will reduce the water level even further)
- Use a small cup or a couple of absorbent towels to eliminate any water between you and the marks
- Dry the surface with a towel
- Use the solvent to remove the marks CAUTION: Some solvents will discolor a colored toilet, so test a hidden area first.
We received a response, “Thanks, but I believe the marks are metallic in nature – probably left by a plated (not painted) closet auger finish.” We replied, “If the marks are from metal prepare everything in the same fashion but instead of solvent use a pumice stick dipped in turpentine.” Barry’s response, “Thanks, it worked!”