Carbon Monoxide Is No Joke – On the House

Carbon Monoxide Is No Joke

By on May 11, 2014

Comedian George Burns was born on January 20, 1896. He and his wife Gracie Allen made us laugh, but one thing they took seriously (as all of us should) was the ever-present danger of carbon monoxide. Why? It is odorless, tasteless, invisible — and no joke. Carbon monoxide symptoms include headaches, dizziness and nausea. Carbon monoxide can kill you.

Where does it come from? It is a natural byproduct of combustion in furnaces, fireplaces and gas appliances such as cook tops, water heaters and dryers — especially ones not working properly.

How can you detect this invisible threat? Look for telltale signs like yellow flames and soot on burners, and install a carbon-monoxide audible alarm. There are battery-operated ones, or better yet for a few extra bucks, ones that plug in the wall. You should put one on every level in you home. When you do, you can say “goodnight Gracie,” as George Burns did. You’ll sleep peacefully, knowing everyone is safe and sound.

About onthehouse

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest